In mid-September, 2011, FranNet representatives joined nearly 500 franchise small business owners in Washington, D.C., for IFA’s 12th Annual Public Affairs Conference, in which the owners could spread the word about franchising during face-to-face meetings with members of Congress.
IFA, and FranNet, believe lawmakers can take some basic steps to help our industry and get the nation’s economy moving again:
- Increase small business access to credit. We support increases to maximum guarantees in the Small Business Administration loan program, extensions of the 90 percent loan guarantee rate and reductions to borrowers’ fees.
- Entrepreneurs’ inability to borrow money is a major roadblock for small business growth.
- Stabilize income tax rates. We support permanent extension of current income tax rates.
- Reduce health insurance costs. We support legislation to allow small businesses to pool insurance policies and costs across state lines.
- We also back repeal of the so-called “individual mandate” in the health care law that requires employers and individuals to buy health insurance or pay a tax penalty.