FranchiseWorks.com | Home Repair and Handyman Franchise
Offers 10 Repairs that Sell a Home Fast. Mr. Handyman
Offers Expertise for Outshining the Competition.
Ann Arbor, MI – (June 28, 2011) - Let’s face it: It’s not a seller’s market. Loans are increasingly difficult to qualify for, consumer confidence is low and many are facing job uncertainty. For those looking to sell their homes, they’ll need to pull out all the stops, and it starts with simple home improvements.Mr. Handyman
, the nation’s leading home repair and maintenance franchise
, is experienced across the nation working with sellers and realtors to prepare homes for sale. They provide the following advice for homeowners looking to make their home standout in a competitive market.
1. Patch nail holes. Filling unsightly nail holes is an easy way to make old drywall look new. Using a spackle knife, fill in each hole with lightweight putty and scrape the excess off the walls. Wait for the putty to dry and sand the spot down until it’s smooth. Then, paint the repaired spots with a primer.
2. Paint the walls a warm or neutral color. While pink might be your favorite color, it’s not universally celebrated. Stick to colors that will appeal to the largest audience of buyers. A fresh coat of paint will make the house look clean and new.
3. Restore baseboards. While little things like dinged and dirty baseboards go overlooked by the average homeowner, they stand out to the increasingly picky consumer. Clean the smudges and scrapes off the baseboards and fill in any dents with spackle. Apply primer to the repaired spots, and paint the baseboards a white or eggshell color.
4. Consider hardwood flooring. According to a recent nationwide survey of real estate agents, installing new hardwood floors can increase a home’s value by up to 10 percent. Hardwood floors that are lighter in color are most popular right now.
5. Emphasize lighting. Different lighting options can influence the mood of any room, but there’s no substitute for natural lighting. One way to maximize natural lighting is to hang mirrors opposite of windows. Come nighttime, lights should emphasize decorative pieces in the room.
6. Update kitchens and bathrooms. Before making major renovations, keep in mind that minor upgrades can go a long way. An easy and inexpensive way to breathe new life into a bathroom or kitchen is to replace old light fixtures, faucets and hardware with modern alternatives. A thorough cleaning, re-grouting as required, and replacement of old and mildewed caulk, will help a tub or shower look fresh and clean.
7. Install a closet system. Homebuyers want plenty of storage space, and an unorganized, crowded closet won’t appeal to the masses. Anything that isn’t needed should be donated. Once the closet is empty, create a custom storage solution that maximizes space.
8. Put in double-pane windows. Not only will new windows make the home look more enticing, but it will save the future homeowner 25 percent on heating and cooling bills. Dispose of outdated drapes and bent mini-blinds.
9. Improve the curb appeal. The outside of your home can make a strong first impression, and a well-maintained yard with eye-catching plants and hardscaping adds elegance to your listing. Consider power washing the vinyl siding and deck, while adding a fresh coat of paint to steel, entry doors.
10. De-clutter. A clean, simple house will allow homebuyers to put themselves in that space mentally. Tidy up bookshelves and tables and remove excessive décor.
About Mr. HandymanMr. Handyman
is a network of independently owned and operated franchises
with nearly 300 locations nationwide that provides commercial and residential property maintenance and repair services. Founded in March 2000, Mr. Handyman is a member of Service Brands International, a group of service companies that provide a variety of timesaving services ideally suited for today’s active consumer. Mr. Handyman has been recognized as the industry leader for seven consecutive years by Entrepreneur magazine. Each year, franchisees, technicians and Home Office team members participate in the National Day of Service and Remembrance and donate time to charitable organizations across the country.
If you would like more information about owning a home repair franchise
, go to http://www.franchiseworks.com
FranchiseWorks.com was established in 1999 with the goal of providing qualified prospective entrepreneurs with the right franchise or business opportunity that meets his or her needs. We showcase hundreds of franchise
and business opportunities
in a variety of industries including new start-ups to established companies. www.FranchiseWorks.com
also has information on franchise financing sources, business opportunity and franchise trade show schedules
along with the latest franchise news
. For additional franchise information
or the franchise blog
. Visit Mr. Handyman Franchise
for more information